Friday, December 14, 2012

Hot Chocolate 15k

As part of me trying to get healthy and lose weight I never should have gained, I signed up for the Hot Chocolate 15k. Of course, if I was going to run 9.3 miles, there would definitely be chocolate at the end! When I signed up back in October, I had not run more than a 5k, ever! I used the Hal Higdon 15k Novice Training Plan to get prepared for it and also had the help of two of my sisters joining me on the longer runs. They also ran the 15k as well. Last Sunday morning we got up early and headed out to Scottsdale for the run.

 
 
IMG_1312

It was the coldest morning we have had yet this winter, but shortly after we started the run, we warmed up. I ran with my sisters for the first 2 miles and then they moved ahead as they run faster than me. I personally ran faster than I have before. The Saturday before when I ran my 8-miler, I ran a 10'14" pace so to do 9.24 miles at a  9'41" pace was really exciting for me. Back in July I weighed over 200 lbs. (yikes!) and when I started to run with the C25k program my pace was like 11'30"! I am now more than 30 lbs. lighter! Crazy how far I have come in 6 months. Also, look at how many calories that burned! 1208 is insane! I got my brooks running shoes back in July as well and have already logged atleast 124 miles in them!

 
I know that there are lots of people who run more than that, and faster, but for me this is a big deal, and I am proud of myself. I almost got choked up when I crossed the finish line becauase I was just so overwhelmed with emotions. I have never set such a huge goal for myself physically, so to meet that was just really big for me. And also, just before the finish line my mom was holding Everly and cheering me on, so yay, you can understand why I almost cried.
 
 New Picture
 
After the run we got our finisher's mug filled with hot chocolate, chocolate fondue and lots of stuff to dip in the chocolate. It was delicious, but we didn't have much time becuase I had a soccer game in an hour. Yay, I know, crazy, but we would have been short players if my sister and I hadn't gone. We tied the soccer game 1-1 and I scored the goal, but we really should have won. Oh well. The rest of the day was pretty busy, but I did get a pedicure and I used my sister's foam roller to massage out my leg mussels last night and I think it is paying off because I am not too sore today! I am not quite sure what is next on the fitness agenda, but I definitely have more to achieve!
 
IMG_1317


IMG_1329

No comments:

Post a Comment

Weekend in Review

Summer is basically here and we are already in full on pool season. On Friday I had the day off so I spent some time with Aspen and took he...